Swahili   |   English
Registration of Marriages



RITA registers Marriages and Divorces, and also issues certificates. Marriage and Divorces is governed by the law of Marriages Act, 1971 Cap 29 .R.E 2002

  1. 1.    To register subsisting unregistered marriage

Requirements /Procedure:

  • Fill appropriate Forms(RGM 18RGMF 7)
  • Affidavit of Marriage (Stating that the Marriage is subsisting and not registered.)
  • Annex copies of Birth Certificates of children of the marriage if any.
  • Annex copy of Prove of Marriage. Example :- Certificate of marriage issued by religious leader etc.
  • Pay appropriate fee  Tshs. 20000/=
  1. 2.    To obtain certificate of no impediment to Marriage

Requirements /Procedure

  • Fill and submit Forms RGM 12
  • Submit copies of Birth Certificates and passport .
  • Parent/guardian written letter to verify the status of applicant and the identity card of the parent/guardian who verify the status.
  • Pay appropriate fee Tshs 200,000/=.
  • The form should be applied by the applicant.

NB. If the applicant is a resident in the foreign country the application should be routed through Tanzanian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate


  1. 3.    Licence to celebrate marriage

Requirements /Procedure

  • Fill the form RGMF 2
  • For the first applicant need to attach the introduction letter from the head of ministry, a copy of registration certificate of the ministry/society and 2 passport size photograph.
  • For the renewal attach one passport size photograph.
  • Appropriate fee (current fee rate Tsh. 30,000/=)

 NB: Religious leader of respective religious will fill the form RGMF2 (The application must channel through District  Commissioner, who will make a comment on the request.)

  1. 4.    Special licences to celebrate marriage within 7 days.

Requirements /Procedure

  • Fill  the form  RGMF9
  • Proof of good cause to waive the requirement of 21 days notice.
  • Physical presence of the parties to marriage
  • Passport size photograph of the parties to marriage
  • Appropriate fee  Tshs. 100,000/=.

       1.5 Licence  to celebrate marriage in a special place

To obtain licence to celebrate marriage in a special places other than one habitually used as a place of public worship or gathering.

Requirements /Procedure

  • File the form RGM. 4
  • Give reasons for the application of licence to celebrate marriage in a special place.
  • Pay appropriate fee Tsh. 200,000/=
  • The appropriate fee for the sick person is Tsh. 20,000/=


1.5 To register a foreign Marriage

RITA (Registrar General) has a mandate to registers a foreign marriage .

Requirements /Procedure

  • File the form RGMF 7 na RGM. 11
  • Attach English or Swahili versions of your marriage certificate (if your marriage certificate is not in English or Swahili a certificate translated copy by comuler officer or notary public).
  • Attach tow Pasport size  of a couple.
  • Attach copy of pasport of the couple.
  • Pay the appropriate fee currently is TSH 100,000/=. 

  • NOTE: Marriage contracted In Tanzania embassies abroad are regarded as marriages contracted in Tanzania mainland not covered by this procedure.